In the 6th session of the CMB Podcast, I speak with worship leader and songwriter, Matt McCoy. Matt has released 4 albums, and is currently working on his 5th. His latest release "Shine" is available at iTunes here. For more info on Matt's music visit his website link below.
Listen to or download the podcast here, and check out the detailed show notes below....
Here are some of the things we talked about:
- his story growing up in the Vineyard Church movement
- looking for churches instead of schools…
- should young guys should make their local church their worship school?
- the story of loop community [dot] com
- Ableton Live in songwriting
- how Matt keeps writers block away
- how reading your Bible daily, and writing songs are similar
- take the pressure off and just let life happen (and write more songs)
- stop trying to write songs that are fresh and new and start writing songs that are honest
- co-writing with Vertical Church Band at Harvest Bible Chapel
- two minds are better than one
- instant feedback vs being alone in your bedroom
- "Shine" album and Campus Crusade
- the story behind the song "Only You"
Links to check out
Follow Matt's musical journey, follow him on Twitter and Facebook, and get his latest live recording, Shine, at iTunes.
Worship leaders! If you're itching to jump into a new adventure of music creation awesomeness... then learn about Abelton Live (more below), and dive headfirst into the community over at Matt's site loopcommunity.com for loops and resources on augmenting your band's sound.
So what is Ableton Live anyway? Here's the best description I can think of:
It is software for music creation, both studio recording and live performance. It's like a studio is its own instrument for musicians. I personally LOVE IT.
Click here for the Ableton site.
In the beginning of the show I mentioned James 4:13-15
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.”
May all of our planning, writing, recording, jamming, podcasting, and whatever else you can add, be submitted to the Lord. If all of this is done in our strength, than we've really missed the boat...
Let's learn to "play the background" and joyfully point to our Lord and savior Jesus Christ.
And, Lord willing, we will go do this or that...